Exploring where life and story meet!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Viewer discretion advised

I have read the book.  I have seen the musical.  I have seen another version of the film.  I tried not to look at the unenthusiastic reviews.  Finally, I have seen Les Miserables.  I should not have watched it...because I will be in withdrawal until it comes out on video!  This is one of those movies you either adore or hate, from the reviews I have read, most of the critics are in the second category!  Of course, I do not know why we read reviews, as if one man's opinion on something will have any bearing on my own.  I do not like wine therefore I should not write reviews of wine tasting; the same should apply here.  I thought this was one of the best movie experiences I have ever had, my husband was not allowed to go (not that he wanted to) because this just is not his sort of thing.  I have the same ambivalence towards the Super Bowl.

First off, I in no way claim to be an expert in anything musical, I just know what I like and what I do not.  I can only say that I enjoyed something or I did not, I can say nothing on its artistic accomplishments.  The solo by Fantine alone is worth the ticket price, but overall it was an amazing experience.  The women have amazing voices and were a joy to listen to.  Javert was not bad (not great, but not irritating); Jean Valjean was rather uninspiring.  He did a good job acting, but his voice left me flat.  It was a very scenic movie, the cinematography was beautiful.  There were several places where dialogue was added which should have been spoken rather than sung, but that is a small complaint when compared to the wonder that is this movie. 

I was disappointed to hear that it was not in the top three at the box office this weekend, but I suppose I should not be surprised.  After all, a strange western and a horror movie would certainly be of more interest to the 'average' movie-goer than what many would consider an emotionally overcharged presentation of a book no one has ever heard of.  The world would be a far more inspiring place if we hungered after films like Les Mis and forgot our obsession with 'just another horror flick.'  Maybe if Les Mis came out in 3-D?

It is not for everyone, sadly I fear the people who can still appreciate such a masterpiece are quickly disappearing from the earth!  It will make you cry, but it will also give you hope.  It is certainly filled with the miserable, but it does not end that way as most of the modern classics do.  The thing I loved most about this movie is that everywhere we are reminded that our hope comes not from this world but from beyond it.  It is not the Law but Grace, Mercy, and Love that give life meaning.  Javert has been a stalwart pursuer of Justice his entire life and cannot comprehend what it is to be the recipient of mercy at the hands of a criminal.  His entire view of the world comes crashing down around him and he must either accept this strange gift or deny it utterly.  He will not submit to this strange effrontery and does the only thing he can to escape it.  Jean Valjean has lived a life of misery and injustice and when offered this same mercy, falls to his knees in wonder and humble joy, vowing to be a better man whose life ends up touching so many.  The same grace is offered to us.  Will we plunge into utter darkness in outright refusal or will we fall to our knees in grateful acceptance, lighting a candle that will brighten the lives of all those we touch?
 
'For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.'
from the Finale, Les Miserables
 
The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. Isaiah 9:2 (KJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment