Exploring where life and story meet!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Take a seat

"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is (1 John 3:2 ESV)."

'We are God's children NOW,' just a simple statement of fact, written two thousand years ago, how very strange and wonderful that it can still cause a beating heart to thrill with very joy!  Most people probably don't care and of those who do, they'd probably scratch their heads and wonder what the big deal is.  But I'm skittish, so very nervous in this area.  You see, I was nobody's child, I was unwanted and unloved, used, abused, and neglected by my earthly parents, how much less could I be of interest to a Heavenly Father?  But He was there, even in my darkest nights when I could not sleep for fear or crying.  Even when I was unloved by any other earthly creature, I knew, somehow, that He loved me, but I had no comprehension of what love meant; to me it was always a sort of benign neglect: my needs were met and someone wasn't yelling at me, that was the best I could hope for, to me that was happiness indeed.  But that wasn't His definition of love nor His hope for me.

Lately, I've come to realize what love is, and that I'm not on the outside looking in, but rather I might actually stand on the very verge and bask in its light, though I certainly couldn't draw near its heart, not me; I'm grateful for even the barest flicker of its light, what more could I want or hope for, this is far more than I ever imagined.  But that's not good enough for Him.  Not by a long shot.  I need to quit being content to pick up the crumbs under the table when He's set a place just for me.  I even get dessert!  It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, there's a place at the table for you too, but you have to sit down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment