Exploring where life and story meet!

Monday, July 22, 2013

A dying tongue?

I am certainly outdated, outmoded, obsolete, whatever the current word would be.  I am one of the marginal few who are not fluent in text lingo.  I can live quite happily without my phone and can go a week without 'surfing the net' and suffer no signs of withdrawal.  I am far more at home in the pages of a big, dusty book than in the virtual maze they call Facebook.  I am too verbose to 'tweet.'  Yes, I am a dinosaur or perhaps a mastodon...a creature forgotten in the mists of the past, a fossil of yore with no modern purpose.  And I am completely fine with that.  As the modern world is happy to forget me, so too am I happy to be forgot.  I have all the eons of history for company.  But alas, what will the modern world do without ancient vocabulary?  Invent more heretical text words I suppose.

I was listening to the radio (that ancient entertainment device) and heard a song with a lyric that went, 'lest I forget.'  Lest is one of those lovely, archaic words that I doubt will survive into the 2020's but which is quite useful and I think irreplaceable.  My husband mentioned something about being stodgy yesterday, and there too is another indispensable word!  I don't miss the dinosaurs but I will miss words such as this if they disappear from common parlance (there's another one!). 

The English language is quite frustrating in certain aspects such as 'love' which has 10,000 shades of meaning but only one term for them all, but it is also quite an interesting language in that there are 10,000 synonyms for say the word 'big.'  I love this paradoxical, amusing, confusing, and flexible tongue and can only hope the next generation learns to love it too ere I become an octogenarian and no one can understand me!  But I suppose we'll all have a universal translator or babel fish or some such by then.  They already have a device to translate the language of dogs into Japanese, but I think my dog is better than my Japanese...oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment