Exploring where life and story meet!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On searching for unicorns

I embarked on a quest the other morning, hoping to find a certain finicky flower that is said to lurk hereabouts or at least perhaps to see a unicorn.  I did see a rather tall, lanky dog that in the mist at first appeared to be something mythical but turned out to have an all too mortal wolfhound for a grandmother to be something out of legend.  But I was questing and sometimes the whole point of a quest is the journey rather than the intended object of the adventure.  As that great sage G. K. Chesterton once spaketh, "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."  Such perhaps is life.  Is it an exciting journey full of adventure and wonder or a dreary trudge from cradle to grave with no purpose, direction, or meaning?  I found plenty of wonder that misty morning though the renegade plant remained a thing found only in legend.  Neither did I see unicorns but the fairies were out in abundance.

The world was cloaked in dew and mystery with the morning sun peaking out at times to transform the whole world into a sparkling, glittering panorama.  There is more art in a dewy morning than in some of the most fabulous works wrought by men.  That is the essence of true art, it expresses the words behind the world which are not words at all but is rather, 'deep calling out to deep.'  Of course, if nothing is stirred within you, either it is not art or your world is too shallow.  I do not know how the stuff called 'modern art' was ever categorized as 'art!'  I see it and am perplexed, especially when there was a thinking, creative being behind its production.  But then, I have always presumed myself to be something of an anachronism, enjoying what has traditionally been called good art, music, and literature up until the turn of the nineteenth century when the 'modern era' began to change our definition of beauty.  But I have taste enough to enjoy a glorious morning, supposedly in pursuit of a rare plant but probably just an excuse to get out of the house and enjoy the natural world for a bit.  And I enjoyed it immensely though I am starting to think unicorns more real than the silly plant!  I love these rare, childish moments of wonder when the whole 'sensible' world is stripped away, and for a moment, we see a glimpse of heaven in the light reflected from a drop of water clinging to a nameless weed.  Foolishness I suppose, but therein lies the wisdom of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment