Exploring where life and story meet!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Great literature and the the culture of 'Me'

Of all topics least interesting, you want to hear about me?  Such was my response when I learned who they had volunteered to speak and upon what topic said volunteer must speak at a meeting I must soon attend.  I loathe getting up and talking in front of people, especially if the topic is the speaker!  This brought to mind a few things I have been reading of late as pertains to the phenomenon of modern writing, especially in the self-published world.  The experts assure the self-published masses that it is not about the book but rather about the brand, and the brand is you, the author.  To become a success, you must promote yourself.  Sell, sell, sell, is their mantra!  You will sell no books if you do not sell yourself.  Did I miss something?  Did I take the wrong train and end up in a strange parallel dimension?  Who reads a book because they personally like the author?  You may like the way a person writes, their stories, their characters, whatever but I doubt you read a book because you like the author's 'brand' or similar hype.  Sure, you might read Aunt Esmeralda's autobiography out of familial duty or pick up the latest book by your favorite author, but you read the latter because you like previous books by the same author and the former because you have to or your Aunt will be crushed, in neither case is it about reading whatever is written because you like Joe Smith as a person (albeit a person you have never met).

What should sell a book is good writing.  You usually need a good story, a great plot, interesting characters, etc, though some of the latest publishing triumphs leave me wondering if the author cult is on the rise; we read what is popular rather than what is good literature or something we enjoy.  But look at the books that endure, what generation after generation chooses to read (when not coerced by English teachers and well meaning parents).  Some of the recent 'hip' novels will no doubt do well but will not endure whereas others that may make very little profit will continue to be read and beloved for generations.  I suppose this is why I do not have a favorite living author.  I prefer books that have survived the test of time and are not just a passing fad.  Words that live even after their author's decease.

I will not read a book because it is 'the best thing ever' but rather because I think I may have half a chance of enjoying it.  Why read else?  So why would I read a book because the author is 'the best thing ever' or so say they of themselves.  Judge not a book by its author nor its cover, I suppose is a good mantra.  I have several authors that I love one book and dislike or even hate another work of theirs.  Reveal your words to the world and let the readers judge of themselves.  But alas, even our books must have brands in this strange day.  I have never been wise in the ways of fashion, thus brands are of little account to me.  Why must they now invade the world of story?  Read Jane Austen because you like her books, not because you think she herself is 'the bomb' or whatever is the latest trendy slang for a cool person.  But then, everything is about 'me,' so why should literature be spared.  Fame is about being famous rather than about having done something worthwhile.  What is popular is better than what is right or good or true.  But there are so many 'mes' clamoring for attention that I doubt such self-aggrandizement will avail anyone but an already famous person.  I am afraid it will scare people away from reading at all.  Celebrities write books and sell books because of their brand, the same cannot be said of we mere mortals, but though we may never be famous or rich, some few among us may write a great story that will live on long after the latest famous autobiography lies forgotten in a recycling bin.  I suppose this, like all fads, will soon enough pass away and the good will remain.  Verbum Dei Manet in Aeternum.  In the interim, we must choose our reading wisely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment