Exploring where life and story meet!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

On favorite authors and good books

I have never really found a favorite author, I have favorite books, but never have I chosen a true favorite author.  How can one choose a favorite sunset?  No two are alike so how is one to choose between them?  But I have narrowed it down to two: L. M. Montgomery and C. S. Lewis, my other esteemed authors have all written other works in which I find little interest, but these two I have loved every piece of their writing that I have yet read.  Take Tolkien for example, I love 'the Lord of the Rings', don't mind 'the Hobbit,' but have no use for the Silmarillion and many of his other works (apparently my nerd gene is only heterozygous).  G. K. Chesterton is brilliant and funny and down to earth, but half the time I am not sure what he is trying to say, which annoys me no end.  C. S. Lewis is so logical, reasonable, approachable, winsome, and concise that I like both his fiction and his non-fiction; he has a way of saying things that make no sense when others say them but he can make you understand in a sentence what it takes others a book to say.  L. M. Montgomery grew up at my house, maybe she was me?  Anywho, I feel like a child again, wandering the fields and woodlands of my youth.  She has an insight into people that is both refreshing and scary, and so far there is always a happy ending, though in that annoying Austenian fashion, the wedding comes at the very end and we have no idea what happens after with the exception of Anne.  I am currently reading through some of her lesser known works and quite enjoying them, though I wonder if they are good for me emotionally. I seem to know these dear girls, to be these young heroines, and coming back to 'real' life sometimes I think a bit of them comes with me.  My husband thinks I have gone crazy!  But that is one sign of a good book (it draws you in and holds you, not the crazy part, that would be a sign you are reading too much modern lit.).

No comments:

Post a Comment