Exploring where life and story meet!

Friday, February 21, 2014

Blame it on the Muse

I just published a short work that apparently is some sort of political satire, yet I am neither political nor a satirist.  I am a hopeless romantic that likes to imagine fairies and unicorns really exist and that politicians don't, but when the Muse calls, a writer must answer.  I write fairy tales, not semi-humorous commentaries about modern life…at least I did.  Do other writers have this problem?  They want to sit down and write something and only discover that the end product is nothing like the result they had envisioned?  It is as if the story takes on a life of its own and will not let you go until you have fully given it birth.  I have heard of demon possession but literary possession?  But it is like that with my fairy stories too, I sit down to write and am as surprised as a first time reader at what happens next and where the story goes.  Maybe that is why nothing that I write makes sense?  Many sit down and plot out their entire book before they set word processor to paper; I just start writing.  Maybe this is like the old phrase, 'the very stones will cry out,' perhaps they just can't help themselves.  But you hear stories like this behind many of the great books, music, and poems of history; people who just felt this urge to write something down on the spur of the moment and the results are some of our greatest cultural accomplishments.  Think Handel's Messiah, which the man wrote in about three weeks, apparently accompanied (according to legend) by visions of all Heaven opened.  This is not to say that anything written on the spur of the moment and in such haphazard fashion must and will be wonderful and amazing, but it is curious how this seems to be such a common happenstance among artists of all genres.  It almost makes one believe in the existence of the Muses.

No comments:

Post a Comment