Exploring where life and story meet!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Timely reminders

Life has been a little stranger and harder than usual of late, at times I have very much wondered what is the point of pressing on, of trying so hard, of having suffered so much.  But suddenly I was reminded that it is right before Easter, of what that 'holiday' truly means, of what Good Friday is all about.  Amidst all the bunnies and colored eggs, even in the shadow of my own struggles, I came across this song and my world turned upside down, or perhaps I should say right side up.  I've been so focused on me that I've forgotten it should be all about Him and my troubles are pretty petty compared to what He did for each of us and the hope we therefore have in Him.  This is an old hymn (~1863) that was set to new music in the 1990's and it is just beautiful, it reminds me very much of 'Be Thou My Vision' and  'How Deep the Father's Love for Us,' there's a you-tube version beneath for the full effect.  Happy Easter!

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace,
One with Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased with His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

I bow before the cross of Christ
And marvel at this love divine
God’s perfect Son was sacrificed
To make me righteous in God’s eyes
This river’s depths I cannot know
But I can glory in it’s flood
The Lord most high has bowed down low
And poured on me His glorious love.

~Before the Throne of God Above~



No comments:

Post a Comment