Exploring where life and story meet!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Out of Context

It always drives me batty when someone uses scripture out of context in support of or against something with which it has absolutely nothing to do.  But then scripture isn't the only battered and bruised victim of quotational indiscretion.  Memes are particularly bad (do you know how long it took me to figure out what a meme was, no one could just say it is a picture with a caption or quote on it, they always give some long drawn out psychosocial babble in explanation).  There are several circulating about books and libraries and the love of reading attributed to Jane Austen, originating with Caroline Bingley in Pride and Prejudice, but the original context is that Miss Bingley is trying to impress Mr. Darcy who had just complimented Elizabeth on her apparent love of reading, Caroline has no true interest in or love of books, so it is a little ironic that others quote her in support of their own love of books.  I also cringe whenever I see 'goodnight, sweet Prince,' as nursery decor, as those words were spoken to Shakespeare's dying Hamlet.  The same goes for Noah's ark themed baby decor, yeah the animals are cute, but the original context of the story is God's judgment on a depraved humanity, that is certainly a great theme to welcome baby home!

So in that vein, I'd like to introduce you to my own out of context revelation: we are all divinely commanded to be entomologists!  Yes, we are all bound to study insects by the Divine Will!  What, you are not an entomologist?  Shame, shame!  What else can it mean, I quote: 'look to the ant thou sluggard, and be wise!'  There you have it!  Yes, this is a joke, so please don't run off and apply for a master's in entomology unless you truly have an interest in it.  I had a friend who did that, and while spending your life collecting butterflies in the rainforest would be way cool, she discovered that most people in that field end up studying crop pests or becoming exterminators.  Kind of like quoting Caroline Bingely above: I love bugs, and now I will devote my life to killing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment