Exploring where life and story meet!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Regarding Art

I love beauty in all its forms but have no artistic talent whatsoever.  I can plunk out a rough tune on a piano, but it sounds very little like music.  My painting skills have not moved much beyond that learned in elementary school.  I made a quilt once, pretty, but most of the corners were mere approximations of a ninety degree angle.  I like to sing; no one likes to listen.  Then I discovered photography!  At last, an art form that does not require me to somehow manufacture beauty, but only to capture it in its natural habitat.  I feel somewhat like the zookeeper who only has to go out and catch tigers rather than create them!  I can arrange words in a meaningful fashion, which is undoubtedly a form of art, but the musical and visual arts have long escaped my skill set.  I still cannot create beauty, but now I can preserve it for future enjoyment. 

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.' Psalm 19:1 (ESV)

We were made in the image of God and God creates, this creative drive exists within each of us.  Though our skills differ, the need is still the same.  It is the very essence of what it is to be human.  So whether with pen, paint, instrument, voice, tools, or camera, create on!        

No comments:

Post a Comment