Exploring where life and story meet!

Monday, December 16, 2013

A confession...

Like most people, I have a love hate relationship with technology.  I love being able to type quickly, neatly, and efficiently as my handwriting is horrible and my hands get very sore after only a few words.  This gives me a real appreciation for those who had to write manuscripts by candlelight with a quill pen, ouch!  But then when something goes wrong it takes eight times as long to fix the problem as doing it the old fashioned way.  I remember life before the internet yet am young enough to have grown up with a little technology thus am not afraid of it.  I still prefer the now prehistoric windows 95, but do not miss the electric typewriter on which I filled out my college applications.  Those mini keypads for various portable devices drive me crazy and we will not even mention what texting and spell check have done to the literary skills of modern generations.

I remember using a mac in college for a computer art class, back in the Cambrian period I think, and thinking my scientific calculator was a tad smarter, of course those were back in the zip drive days, but the things froze constantly and it was like speaking a foreign language to one semi-fluent on a windows PC, but times and macs have apparently changed.  I have not met a windows laptop I have liked for ten years or so, and recently I have been having dubious flirtations with an apple PC and I am afraid I may be a convert.  I just published a few more stories in ebook format and it was much smoother on the mac than my last attempt with windows.  I wonder what Gutenberg would say if he were told about the advent of ebooks?  I suppose whatever the language or the format, the written word has inspired generations and will continue to do so regardless of changes in either.

No comments:

Post a Comment